Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Orientation

I've filled out a couple of surveys about sexuality as of late.  One was for the Westword, Denver's weekly newspaper.  The other was for the upcoming Asexual Awareness Week.  The two surveys brought some really interesting realizations to my attention.

Although I've had sex with boys and girls, I regularly play with boys, girls, and people elsewhere on the gender spectrum, and am romantically attracted to people all over the gender spectrum, I don't consider myself part of the LGBT community.  Left entirely to my own devices, I identify my sexual orientation as "ambivalent" or as I'm fond of saying these days, "I'm mostly disinterested in everybody."  Of course, neither of those options are ever available on dropdown menus.  The closest that I can ever get is something like bisexual or pansexual.  Or asexual.

In any event, in spite of having an abundance of reasons to identify myself as part of the LGBT community, I just don't feel it.  I'm on the periphery, with frequent overlap of social circles and events.  But I don't feel that it's my community.

Another unexpected revelation: In spite of having only had sex a dozen or so times- and that's being generous- in the past year, with absolutely zilch for the past five months, I still consider myself sexually active.  And not just in the sense that I'm sexually active with myself.  For whatever reason, I still think of myself as having one foot in the sexy pool.

I don't know why either of these things are as they are.  Using even a very, very small amount of logic makes it obvious that I fit neatly under the LGBT umbrella, and that I am not sexually active.  So why the discrepancy?  It'll be something that I mull over, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment