Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Identity, as Assumed by Others

Okay, you know how in that most recent post about orientation and whatnot I was all, "Hmm, I don't know why I consider myself sexually active and apart from the LGBT community"?  It's true that I didn't when it first came to my attention, but by the time that I got around to clicking the publish post button, I had an inclination.  I just couldn't find a way to work it into the post without disrupting the flow.  Call it stylistic dishonesty.

But hey, now is my chance to come clean!

I think the default assumption of women in my general age range in my culture is that we are not an active part of the LGBT community, and we are sexually active.  For whatever reason, I just haven't gotten around to doing the internal fact-checking on those points.  Society says that I'm straight and sexually active, so I am!  Woohoo!

Of course, there's more nuance to it than that.  I don't think that I can reason my way into feeling like part of a community, and I'm pretty sure that there are some emotional hang-ups (along with maybe just a little bit of holding out for impractical crushes), that are keeping me from declaring that I'm sexually inactive and taking myself off of birth control.

So where next?  Well, I'm still not sure.  But I do have a better feel for where I'm at, and why I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment