Thursday, October 6, 2011

Labels

I cannot overstate how happy I am to have a label for my sexuality.  While revolting against labels is currently en vogue ("You can't box me in!  I'm a snowflake!!"), finding out that I did have a bucket, and therefore was not utterly alone in my experience, was hugely validating for me.

I'm too asexual to claim to be normal in that regard.  This has made itself clear- repeatedly, and painfully.  But I'm not asexual enough to write it off entirely- there ARE contexts in which I really like being sexual, with myself and others.  Before discovering the label "gray-a" I felt like I didn't fit in anywhere I went.  I was my own little island of freak.

So I'm pretty excited about having a label, and I wear it with pride.  It gives me a framework to explain who I am, and a sense of security that my experience is shared by others.

1 comment: